Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Girls' Pants or: Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Once Removed

To start: my son, who has more fashion sense than I do apparently, noted that DD has a purple dress, albeit dark purple. So I was given free rein of the purple fabric.




As intended, I made a pair of girls' pants from the basic pattern/sloper I made a while ago. I did verify the inner leg length (yup, grown a bit) but didn't think to check whether the sloper really matched the (well-fitting) turquoise pants I thought I'd made from it. Um, no.
I happily went ahead, put in a few more seams (like a yoke and separate waistband) and some decoration... And, in a pattern I recognize only too well (see DS's last pair of pants, or just about any kids' pants at first try), finished a nice pair of pants that DD can wear... when she's six or so (currently 4 1/2)! (You'd think I have a sewing blog for noting this kind of thing. Well, I've noted it now. Remains to see whether I will read this before the next attempt!)


Do I have no sense of the children's true size? Or am I so afraid to cut out something that will turn out too small? This doesn't usually happen with my own garments, but then I try on a lot. And I really dislike having the children try something on. It just invites too many opinions...



Well, here's the finished piece, and on to new shores. Happy sewing!

9 comments:

  1. Darling pants. Brings back many fond memories of sewing for my little ones, who are now very big ones-but I am still sewing for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so cute!! I tend to do this to myself as well. Kid pattern pieces all look so darn small! At least she'll grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are totally cute! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be terrified of making something too small for kids too :-). The problem with this is that you may end up making something summery when they'll whip through that size during a winter. Then what? Maybe learn to make things that are 'growable', with very deep hems and removeable cuffs that can change the style??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always aimed to get three years out of the children's clothing I made - the year it was too big, the year it was just right and year it was getting small. Sometimes things went to plan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so adorable, I LOVE THE BUNNY EMBELLISHMENT

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least it was too big, not the other way. They are very cute pants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, that will save you some time when she's six I suppose! They are adorable pants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet that if she sees them, she will want to wear them now- they are really cute.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin