Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Girls' Pants and Pinafore Top

First of all, thank you for the many lovely comments on my blouse and last post's girls' pants! I decided to follow your advice and wear the blouse for a bit to get used to it. Wouldn't you know it - I received quite a few compliments, so of course now I have to keep wearing it!


Also, instead of giving up I got stubborn and sewed another pair of girls' pants. Quite a bit tighter, and with fewer details. It went fast, it fits, whew.




Another thing DD lacks is sleeveless tops. I got it into my head that a pinafore top would be perfect, as it is wearable over a t-shirt as well as for a sleeveless top.



(To be honest, all I really want is a pinafore dress for myself, ever since I saw this gorgeous number on Casey's blog. Not being sure whether the style is right for me, and where to find a good pattern in my Burda mags, I did some vicarious sewing for DD.)




I very roughly followed the Ottobre 4/2009/11 pattern "Viola". I left off the buttoned front and pockets, cut front and back on the fold, added a side zip and raised the front between the straps.


I also made my first fabric covered buttons. Being too cheap for the pre-packaged covered button-making pack, I used simple shank buttons, interfaced the fabric, cut circles, stitched running stitches all around and after inserting the buttons added a few more criss-crossing stitches in the back. Viola! They seem quite stable; ask me again after the first few washes!




Today I played with the new Blogger design options a bit. Do you like it?

7 comments:

  1. The detail on the pinafore dress is darling. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pinafore and pants are really cute. I would have never thought to cover regular buttons, do keep us posted on how that works out after a few washings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want my own pants from that plaid fabric. (I had a pair of green/pink/white plaid paint when I was a kid in the 70s. I wore the heck out of them!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable pants, pinafore and wonderful buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the covered buttons! Such a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uta, Adorable right down to the delicate details.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those buttons are just perfect! Love them. Love the plaid pants and pinafore too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin